Sunday, April 27, 2008

"KK Expedition Day 6 ~ Assault on the Peak!"

The night over in our resthouse, Gunting Ladagan, was definitely the WORST night of the entire trip. The temperature outside was close to 15 degrees C and there's NO heater! :D The floor was icy cold. The water from the tap... man, it's beyond freezing! We had to sleep early at 9PM coz the neighbours were banging the walls, telling us to keep quiet! :P We didn't shower tat day (believe me, you don't want to shower) and I had to dry my wet shoes with tissue paper :-S.

We wore the full 'winter' clothing to bed, complete with gloves. The blanket provided was not much of a help either. I remember shivering all night, slipping in and out of consciousness. Before long, FoongLin woke us up at 1.30AM: It was time to prepare ourselves. A cup of hot milo and some maggie noodles was all we had (no appetite to eat). The whole place was already buzzing with activity. Everyone was preparing to go for the assault on the peak. Rudy came over at 2.30AM, we bid Pang farewell and reluctantly (with my stomach feeling wobbly!), we stepped out into the night...

For this part of the hike, a headlamp is very highly recommended! I didn't have one, so have to make do with a torchlight. The trail is PITCH BLACK, can't see a thing. Just keep walking, try to adjust to the thinning air, follow the guys in front. The steps are almost the same with the ones below, but with handle this time. Because of our different pace, we (gf and me) got split with the rest. Rudy sticked with us. Our pace was slow, but we were holding up well. Breathe in breathe out. Keep the mind focused on the breath. Hey, at this pace, we're sure to make the peak!

After a distance, the steps ended, replaced with a white rope. Rope?? Yes, rope used to pull yourself up (like tarik-tali), coz there's no more steps. Just plain rock. Okaay.... Gf went first. After a few unsteady steps, she slipped. Ok, let the others go first. When the coast is clear, try again. One step, two step. Rudy stood beside her, as usual not needing any support. Step step, slipped. The rocks were very slippery due to the rain before. Worst, her shoes did not have a good grip on the rocks. I went up, grabbed the rope and hauled myself up. Ok, seems good, but you have to be quick, otherwise will slip as well!

Step, step, slipped.

Rudy said,"Try to go down first." At this point it looked really dangerous. Rudy said there have been experienced climbers who slipped and fell down. Once you fall, you fall all the way down.... "I give up, can't climb", Gf said. Oh no, that's what I feared the most. "You go ahead." I looked up. Looked at the watch. 4AM. Rudy said I have to reach the checkpoint at Sayat-sayat by 5.30AM, otherwise I'll never make it to the summit. If I hurry, I can still catch up with the rest. Look at Gf. Look at the peak. I can still make it. Without her, I should be able to move at a much faster pace. Definitely can make it!

Look at Gf....



DSC04823



...



...



Well, you know my decision... we go up together, or we don't go up at all.



After a long while, I told Rudy my decision. He said, "Ok, I'll have to catch up with the rest" and so he left. We sat there in the night. Silence....



...



...



Disappointed? Absolutely. Would I have made that decision again? No doubt. If it happens 100 times again, I'll still choose to stay back. Oh well, the adventure comes to a saaaad end...


DSC04824

Trying to make a brave face, but wrecked with disappointment inside. "Do you blame me?", came the unsaid question. "Nope. But sure is disappointing, isn't it... especially when we feel we still have so much left to give!"

The climb down back to Gunting Ladagan was slow. Occasionally, we stopped and rested, watching the sky. It was still very dark. Knock, knock, "Pang you there?". We woke up Pang, who was surprised to see us back so early. "Mission failed." If we were disappointed, you'd have to feel for him, coz he knew he wouldn't be making the climb at all. "Oh well, there's always a next time!", came the cheerful reply from Pang. Heh, you have to love that guy!

So we spent the time taking pics and enjoying the scenery at Gunting Ladagan...

DSC04828
DSC04832
DSC04835



Meanwhile...



P1040662
P1040663
P1040664
DSC01026
P1040672
P1040675

THEY MADE IT!!!


P1040677
P1040681
Yeah, that white rope!
P1040684
P1040686
This is the backdrop for our RM1 note...
P1040687
P1040688
P1040689
P1040690

Magnificent, isn't it? Words fail to describe it.........

9AM, Knock, knock! WaiMaie woke us up; they have just arrived back at Gunting Ladagan! Yes, of course I was jealous... ;)

Haha.....

A rest, breakfast, and off we go, making the trek down from Laban Rata....



Next: "I thought the hard part was OVER??!"

2 comments:

twosuperheroes said...

Never mind lah. Next time can go climb again mah. :p

Leopard said...

Hahha... maybe try some other stuff first :P:P