Thursday, October 21, 2010

"This is a Happy Moment"

I was very fortunate to have been able to attend a Dharma talk by Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh, the Vietnamese Buddhist monk whom I know from reading his simple and effective manual on meditation, "The Miracle of Mindfulness'. The event was held at Phor Tay Secondary School (conveniently outside my house) on 21 Sep. One of my friend was a freelance photographer for the event and he shared with me a few pics. Thanks, pal!

Happy128 (Large)
Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh. The most amazing thing I recall is the ease of which he was able to expound the Dharma to a wide range of audience. The message was simple: "This, here and now, is a happy moment".

Happy139 (Large)
His students from his school in Plum Village, France.

Happy166 (Large)
Some souveniors on sale.

Happy105_G (Large)
Meditating... or sleeping?? :P

The event was very successful and a full house too. We were there early to beat the crowd but almost couldn't get in because we didn't have tickets. The problem was that the banner promoting this talk said "Admission is Free". But what they meant was "Admission is free, but entry by tickets only". Turns out the tickets could be obtained from several Buddhist societies. But since I wasn't a member of any, I didn't know about this. Thankfully, a lady in the donation counter came to our rescue and issued us tickets on the spot! :)

3 comments:

Eric said...

Since secondary school, you are still an avid follower of Buddhist talk eh..Good good !

Leopard said...

Ah, u remembered :D

Eric said...

Of coz, I was the Secretary of Buddhist Society, and I am the one taking attendance :)